About Burton Green    Bugle (Parish Magazine)     Bus Times    Calendar     Coffee, Cake and Computers     Contacts
Family History     Local History     Maps    Notices     Photos    Planning     Residents' Association    Videos

This is www.burtongreen.com Burton Green, Warwickshire

Thursday, 19 April 2018

Housing Development at Westwood Heath

A decision on the planning application to build up to 425 houses at Westwood Heath will be taken at the Warwick District Council Planning Committee meeting to be held on 24th April at Leamington Town Hall. Members of the public are welcome to attend. The meeting commences at 6pm. Westwood Heath is the 7th item on the agenda.

The recommendation of the WDC Planning Department is that the application should be granted.

Councillor Skinner (Westwood) will be speaking at the meeting, presumably opposing the application. Councillor Skinner will speak once, for 5 minutes.

If residents wish to make any further comment, please Email Ms Lucy Hammond at lucy.hammond@warwickdc.gov.uk immediately..

The full agenda for the meeting is here:
Planning Agenda 24 April 2018

A 23-page summary of the Westwood Heath application, including a summary of objections is here:
Item 07 - W17 2357 Land South of Westwood Heath Rd

Sunday, 8 April 2018

Women's Institute 9th April

HODGETTS  LANE 
WOMEN'S  INSTITUTE
                      
AT
BURTON GREEN VILLAGE HALL
                       
MON 9th APRIL 7.30pm
 
THE DUTCH FLOWER
AUCTIONS

and 
   
Flower Arrangement Demonstration   
by Julia Mitchell
 
All Visitors welcome

Saturday, 31 March 2018

Art Exhibition 8th April

Preview Night
7th April, Saturday evening 6.30 – 9.00pm
With Wine and Cheese
Tickets £6.50 adults
Children £3.00


Saturday, 24 March 2018

HS2 Community Engagement Plan

The HS2 Local Engagement Plan has been developed to provide information on HS2 engagement with communities and stakeholders and includes a six month look ahead of the works in the area. 

These plans will be updated periodically as the programme of works continues to be developed.

The complete document is here (PDF document):
Local Engagement Plan Burton Green and Kenilworth


Sample page:



Friday, 16 March 2018

Draft Minutes of Residents' Association Committee March 13th 2018

Minutes of Burton Green Residents’ Association Committee Meeting
March 13th 2018

Present

Dianne Adams; Hilary Cox; Paddy Deeley; Andy Gibbs; Trish Hancock; Judi Hibberd; Janet Hickinbottom; Bron Putnam; Rona Taylor; Faith Ward; Mary Webb

1. Apologies

Apologies had been received from Cllr. Caryll Green.

Summary of actions following the meetingResponsible
Meet with resident to discuss community involvementRona
Collaborative approach to HS2’s community fundingRona
Contact Marlene Hills regarding Greenway Trust’s application to HS2’s community fundHilary
Further investigation into implications of GDPRPaddy


Minutes of the last meeting and Matters Arising

The minutes of the January 23rd meeting were approved.


Matters Arising from the previous minutes

  • Dementia article for Bugle: completed
  • HS2 article for Bugle: completed
  • Welcome Pack to be sent to Hilary: completed
  • Works needed in Red Lane: work begun
  • Charges for lunches: gone up to £8
  • September agenda item had been noted: completed

All other matters arising had been covered or were to be agenda items.


2. Treasurer's Report

A report had been circulated. Dianne explained the various items. The greatest expenditure since the last meeting had been that of the calibration of the Speed Gun.  50% of the cost was to be met by WDC Community Forum and the Parish Council was to be approached for the remainder.  In future the police would be paying for calibration.

A further £15 in subscriptions had been collected.

The total funds stood at £2881.56

Q. Could a new defibrillator box be purchased when this was moved to the new Village Hall?
A. The defibrillator costs were ring-fenced and this should be possible

3.  Residents' views/concerns

Traffic speed: there was new signage on Red Lane but little warning at the Kenilworth end and speeding was still a problem.

Some residents still had concerns about the siting of the new Village Hall entrance.

It had been reported that a crossing would take pedestrians across Red Lane when they were using the newly sited Greenway.  There were worries about the position and safety of this.

There had been a number of burglaries in the area although the police said crime levels had not increased.  Residents were asked to be vigilant. Concerns were expressed that the Neighbourhood Watch Scheme no longer appeared to be active.

There were problems with dog poo bags being left lying around or added to residents’ green bins instead of using the designated bin by the Greenway entrance on Cromwell Lane.

Rona had been contacted by a resident who wished to be more involved in the community.  Rona was to meet her and suggestions were made regarding involvement in Bugle distribution, the computer club and other activities.
Action: Rona


4. Update on and discussion of Residents' Association initiatives and issues

Retired of Burton Green lunch March 16th: This was going ahead with 45 bookings.  It was declared a good idea to put the menu in the Bugle. Balsall Common bingo sessions were to be publicized at the event.

Village Clean up Feb 11th: Thanks were extended to those who took part with over 30 bags of litter collected including a large number of empty vodka bottles. Beer cans had also been removed from the Greenway.

Report from Kenilworth Forum Feb 13th: Burton Green had again won the online voting for a police anti-speeding presence.

Pedestrian safety in Red Lane: Praise was given to the workmen in Red Lane who were renewing the pavements. Two marshalls had been employed to ensure pedestrian safety (and that of residents entering or leaving their driveways) while the work was being carried out. When the work reached the top of Red Lane the road would be closed as it was too narrow to accommodate traffic lights. Thanks were extended to Andrew Scott’s team


5. Village Hall

No-one was available to present a report.  Much work continued to be carried out regarding the new planned hall.  Planning notices had now been erected.

Andy reported that representatives of the Parish Council were to meet on the field where the new hall was to be sited in order to discuss their response to the planning application, which would be a supportive one.

HS2 mitigation planting was to take place on part of the site but there was still uncertainty about the remainder of the field not to be occupied by the hall.

Lesley Tacon had contacted the BGRA suggesting a collaborative approach by different organizations to HS2’s “community pot.” This was felt to be a sensible suggestion.
Action: Rona

It was believed the Greenway Trust had already submitted a bid. Hilary would get in touch with Marlene for further details.
 Action: Hilary

The Neighbourhood Plan group were fact finding ready to send out a survey to see what residents felt was needed in the village.


6. Parish Councillor's Report

Cllr Green had sent a report as she was unable to attend.

She said works had started on the Burrow Hill site, the PC’S objections having fallen on stony ground at the WDC planning meeting. 
The PC had hoped for a further village consultation, but it was not allowed.

Plans had also now come to light for the new village hall and these would be discussed at the next Parish Council meeting on the 19th March.

Work by the neighbourhood plan group under Ray Watkin were forging ahead. 
The group taking part in that was putting in a tremendous amount of time and effort.

Last–ditch attempts were being made to persuade HS2 to have a rethink on the length of the cut and cover tunnel. 

John Vine and Caryll Green would be retiring from the PC in May and there would be two vacancies (or more) to be filled for the one year until the four-yearly elections come around in May 2019.    The Clerk or any councillor would be very glad to hear of anyone interested.   Cllr. Green should be very glad to see herself replaced by another woman.

She exclaimed how lucky we are to have in Burton Green so many organisations all pulling together for the benefit of the village.

Andy added that the work by Michael Bing on the cut and cover tunnel (discussed in a previous meeting) was to be funded.


7.  Any Other Business

There were two Bugle delivery areas that had not been covered.  Dianne and Bron kindly agreed to do these.

GDPR [General Data Protection Regulation]: it was felt important to find out more about the changes to data protection law as this would affect holding people’s details for the village loop as well as for the work of various village groups.
Action: Paddy

Happy birthday wishes were extended to our postman for March 16th.

Rona had written a letter of support for the choir’s application for funding to the community Forum.  Unfortunately the bid had been unsuccessful.  The committee agreed that because the choir contributed so much to the spirit of the village, £100 would be donated to the choir.  Judi and Janet, both choir members, thanked the committee for their generous gesture and explained what their funding was needed for.

8. Date, time and venue of Next Meeting

The next committee meeting was scheduled for May 8th 2018

Future meetings were scheduled as follows:
July 10th, September 11th, October 1st (AGM), December 11th.

Bugle - March 2018

The March 2018 edition of the Bugle has been published.

Just below are thumbnails of the page images. To enlarge any page image, click on the thumbnail below. Once you have the individual page, you may also need to click on the magnifying glass in your browser, where you can view the page at its original size...









The text of the Chair's Report has also been added to the Residents' Association page.

The archive of back issues of the Bugle is here: Bugle Archive.

Monday, 12 March 2018

The Scam Called High-Speed Rail


There's a crackpot scheme in California to build a railway connecting San Francisco and Los Angeles using technology very similar to HS2. The project had a similar timescale to UK HS2.

A new report claims that the California project will cost two or three times the original cost and will be at least 4 years late in delivery, if it happens.
"The price of the California bullet train project jumped sharply Friday when the state rail authority announced that the cost of connecting Los Angeles to San Francisco would be $77.3 billion and could rise as high as $98.1 billion — an uptick of at least $13 billion from estimates two years ago. 
The rail authority also said the earliest trains could operate on a partial system between San Francisco and Bakersfield would be 2029 — four years later than the previous projection. The full system would not begin operating until 2033.
The new estimates will force California's leadership to double down on its political and financial commitments if it wants to see the system completed, against a backdrop of rising costs, years of delays, strident litigation and backlashes in communities where homes, businesses, farms and environmental preserves will have to give up land to the rail's right-of-way.
The initial reaction to the business plan was less than enthusiastic, even from Democrats who have long backed it as a way to revolutionize transportation in the state while reducing emissions.
"At first glance, the High Speed Rail project is still over budget and the funding to complete the program hasn't been identified," said Jim Frazier (Democrat-Discovery Bay), chairman of the Assembly Transportation Committee, which will hold an oversight hearing on the plan on April 2. "We still have no realistic way to pay for the project."
Republicans were predictably harsher.
"Initially a rathole, now a sinkhole, soon it will be an abyss in which more and more tax dollars are forever lost. I speak of the never-ending scam called High Speed Rail," said Sen. Andy Vidak (Republican-Hanford).

Full report:
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-bullet-train-cost-increase-20180309-story.html

And there's another interesting article below.
"...continuing to spend billions on the bullet train is an exercise in futility, absurdity and malfeasance"
Report:
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/sd-bullet-train-business-plan-20180309-story.html 


Tuesday, 27 February 2018

HS2 Planning Context

HS2 have produced a series of documents referred to as Planning Contexts outlining the planning approval timescales and including some additional detailed maps showing construction compounds etc.

The complete document covering Warwick District is here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/623070/warwick_district_planning_context_report.pdf

The document covering Solihull (which includes the Western edge of Burton Green) is here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/642659/hs2_planning_context_report_for_solihull.pdf

This is a description of the works as they affect Burton Green:
The final section of the route within Warwick District, between the Canley Brook viaduct and Burton Green, is approximately 2.9km continuing in a north-west direction. The route will alternate between embankment and cutting as it passes between Crackley Wood and Roughknowles Wood. Crackley Lane will be realigned to cross over the line on a new overbridge, along with the realignment of a section of Cryfield Grange Road. The Roughknowles Wood cutting will extend for 830m up to South Hurst Farm, followed by the Broadwells Wood embankment for a further 1.1km. In this area footpath W167 will be realigned to join footpath W168 and a new underpass underneath the route. 
The route will then proceed through the Bockendon cutting over distance of 440m, followed by the Black Waste Wood embankment before it reaches the south portal of the Burton Green green tunnel adjacent to the village. 
A balancing pond will be constructed to the south of the cutting, along with an ecological mitigation area. Where the route converges with the Kenilworth Greenway, just before the tunnel south portal, the Greenway and footpath W169 will be realigned to pass to the south-west of the tunnel portal, over the green tunnel and then climb up to Cromwell Lane in Burton Green, close to the boundary between Warwick District and Solihull Metropolitan Borough. A tunnel services area will be developed adjacent to the south portal, to include a building, emergency assembly area and an access road from Bockendon Road. 
The Burton Green green tunnel will be a 621m tunnel crossing the boundary between Warwick District and Solihull Metropolitan Borough as it follows the line of the Greenway. The tunnel will begin with a porous portal at the southern end. Cromwell Lane in Burton Green will be replaced on its current alignment over the green tunnel and footpath W182 will be reinstated to pass over the tunnel on completion. 
The Kenilworth Greenway will be realigned to pass along the top of the green tunnel and then along the south-west of the line of route, as it moves into Solihull Borough. New planting will be provided and the Greenway will cross underneath Cromwell Lane. 
The scheme will involve the demolition of Burton Green village hall on Hodgett’s Lane, which is within Warwick District. A new village hall will be constructed on a replacement site located to the south of the tunnel south portal on Red Lane. 
Construction activities will begin in 2017 and take place for approximately five years, after which several years of systems commissioning will take place up to and during 2025.
The buildings that will need to be demolished:
301 Cromwell Lane, Burton Green (outbuilding)303, 305 and 404 Cromwell Lane, Burton Green (4 structures) 

All of the following plans and maps can be enlarged by clicking on them:




Monday, 26 February 2018

HS2 Drop-In Session

The HS2 Drop-In Session previously scheduled for 2nd April has been cancelled. The next session will be on Monday 14th May.


Thursday, 22 February 2018

Burglaries - Cromwell Lane (5th, 15th and 19th February) - Updated 22nd Feb

There have been four daytime burglaries in Cromwell Lane and Westwood Heath in the past fortnight. Residents are urged to be vigilant and to report any suspicious visitors or vehicles.


19 February 2018

A property in Roughknowles Road is believed to have been burgled between 16:00 and 19:30 on Monday 19 February.

It is believed the burglars climbed up the side wall to enter the garden and then attempted to break through several doors and windows before getting into the lounge. They left by breaking open French doors from the lounge and then climbed the side wall or side gate again to leave.

The burglars ripped the internal alarm speaker off the wall; the outside alarm must have been sounding as it had been activated and people must have heard it.


15 February 2018

There was a daytime burglary in Cromwell Lane, on Thursday 15th February:
https://www.warwickshire.police.uk/44130



5 February 2018

A serious burglary occurred in Cromwell Lane on Monday 5th February. At approximately the same time an attempted burglary was reported in Whitefield Close, Westwood Heath.
On Monday evening, 5th Feb, at around 5.15pm, so just getting dark, someone  went up the front drive to a house. 
They tried to disable a  security light which covers the drive way and  managed to cause damage to the PIR sensor in the process but forced the light to face upwards. 
They then climbed over the entry gate at the side of the property and with an implement of some kind, they proceeded to force the pad locked gate bolts from their mountings on the inside of the gate. 
The owners were actually in the property at the time but in the rear kitchen, when they noticed that the security light was on continuously. It is thought at this point the offenders may have seen the occupants in the house and made good their escape. No one was seen at any point.  

This is the original report of the burglary in Cromwell Lane on Monday 5th February:



Wednesday, 21 February 2018

HS2 Ancient Woodlands

HS2 has produced a document detailing their mitigation strategy for the 36 Ancient Woodlands to be destroyed or otherwise affected by the proposed railway.

The complete original document is here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hs2-phase-one-ancient-woodland-strategy

Below is an extract of the details as they affect our local woodlands.

Broadwells Wood

This map can be enlarged by clicking on it...



Broadwells Wood (15.6ha) is identified on the ancient woodland inventory, and contains both areas of semi-natural ancient woodland and PAWS [Plantation on Ancient Woodland Site]. It is located between Crackley Wood and the village of Burton Green. It is a LWS [Local Wildlife Site] in Warwickshire, and supports lowland mixed deciduous woodland, a Habitat of Principal Importance.

Broadwells Wood comprises mature standards of pedunculate oak, birch and ash, together with some conifers and sycamore, over an understorey of hazel coppice, holly and common hawthorn.

The woodland appears to have been felled during the Second World War, as indicated on aerial photographs from 1945. It is likely that the woodland was planted with stands of broadleaved trees and conifers after this period. An area of 1.5ha has been cleared recently and replanted with oak, ash and cherry along the north-western edge. There is evidence of pheasant rearing (old pheasant pens) and shooting (a high seat), the latter of which is likely to have been the reason for the removal of a certain amount of the understorey vegetation.

The woodland canopy is composed of pedunculate and ash standards. Planted Scots pine, Norway spruce, common larch (Larix decidua), sweet chestnut and sycamore are also present.

The main woodland community is W10a [W10a is a reference used in the National Vegetation Classification] Quercus robur-Pteridium aquilinum-Rubus fruticosus woodland, typical sub-community, which has bluebell, bracken and bramble dominant in the field layer (with a MATCH coefficient of 53%) [MATCH is an algorithm for comparing two plant communities]. Immediately adjacent to the streams, ponds and wetter depressions, the vegetation is influenced by moister and more base-rich conditions with abundant tufted hair-grass and lesser celandine, and occasional patches of wood anemone, opposite-leaved golden-saxifrage, enchanter’s nightshade, common marshbedstraw and cuckoo flower.

This woodland community is W8b Fraxinus excelsior-Acer campestre-Mercurialis perennis woodland, Anemone nemorosa sub-community. The wood anemone sub-community (W8b) generally has a south-easterly distribution in Britain, common on heavy base-rich soils, but is less common and more scattered in distribution in Warwickshire, the Midlands and northwest Britain.

Valuation

Broadwells Wood has been assessed as having a conservation status significant at the county/metropolitan level.

Measures taken to avoid or reduce impacts

Changes to the scheme brought forward in the SES [Supplementary Environmental Statement] and AP2 ES, mean that an area of approximately 0.7ha of ancient woodland located within the Hybrid Bill limits will now be retained and not utilised or otherwise directly impacted during either construction or operation (see Figure EC-AWS-014) [the map reproduced above].

Impacts and associated effects

Loss of approximately 2.8ha of ancient semi-natural woodland and 0.4ha of replanted ancient woodland was reported in the main ES, a total of 3.2ha. However, recent updates to the scheme GIS [Geographic Information System; Ordnance Survey] database has increased the accuracy of the figures previously reported and the expected loss of ancient woodland at Broadwell Wood is now expected to be approximately 3.6ha (see Figure EC-AWS-014). The retained sections will be fragmented by the scheme.

While the area of woodland affected is slightly larger than that which was reported in the main ES [Environmental Statement] this remains a permanent adverse effect on the conservation status of ancient woodland which will be significant at a county/metropolitan level.


Black Waste Wood

This map, which also shows Little Poors Wood, can be enlarged by clicking on it...




Only part of Black Waste Wood was identified on the ancient woodland inventory as seminatural ancient woodland during the production of the main ES in 2012/2013. Following a review of historic mapping in 2014 the area recognised as ancient semi-natural woodland increased, with these areas added to the ancient woodland inventory in October 2015.

Black Waste Wood is located east of Burton Green and north of the Kenilworth Greenway. The main woodland site slopes gently towards the south-east, bounded by the gardens of houses in Burton Green to the west, and by arable fields and pasture along the northern and eastern perimeters. A small stream runs through the lower (southern) part of the site, and there are minor wood banks running along parts of the eastern boundary.

Black Waste Wood supports lowland mixed deciduous woodland, a Habitat of Principal Importance. NVC [National Vegetation Classification] surveys were carried out in 2012 and 2013 (Main ES Volume 5 Appendix EC-001-003) due to different land parcels being accessible in different years. The surveys recorded the main body of Black Waste Wood has having a canopy of pedunculate oak, silver birch, downy birch and rowan, with an understorey of holly, common hawthorn, hazel and honeysuckle. The most abundant species are bramble, ivy, and native bluebell, the latter being very abundant. Yellow archangel is locally prominent, forming patches; and bracken is very abundant under the open birch canopy in the north of the compartment.

There appears to have been little recent management. Non-native invasive plant species are present within the woodland, including rhododendron. There were occasional signs of grazing, and muntjac deer (Muntiacus reevesi) were seen. Areas adjacent to the housing have been disturbed and clearings made, and part of the site, adjacent to the north-west ownership boundary, has been replanted with pine. The part of the LWS within the land required for construction of the original scheme has been partially clear felled and used for horse grazing. Many of the open cleared areas are dominated by bracken.

This woodland community is primarily W10c Quercus robur-Pteridium aquilinum-Rubus fruticosus woodland, Hedera helix sub-community (with a MATCH coefficient of similarity of 64%), which is present where there is a closed canopy. It is likely that this grades to W10d Quercus robur-Pteridium aquilinum-Rubus fruticosus woodland, Holcus lanatus sub-community in the north of the compartment where it joins the greater part of Black Waste Wood. These sub-communities are variations of the typical sub-community, widespread on base-poor soils in the British lowlands, and relatively common where traditional woodland management is no longer undertaken.

Valuation

Part of Black Waste Wood was identified as being included on the ancient woodland inventory in the main ES.

The whole of Black Waste Wood, including a section along Red Lane, was identified as potential ancient woodland in the SES (Part 1 of the SES and AP2 ES) as a result of additional cultural heritage baseline information. As the whole of Black Waste Wood was collectively valued in the main ES as of county/metropolitan value, the valuation did not change within the SES.

Measures taken to avoid or reduce impacts

There were no specific measures taken to avoid or reduce the loss of ancient woodland at Little Poors Wood. To avoid impacting local residents in the Burton Green area, the Greenway was used for the alignment of the route. As such, the route of the railway is constrained in this location and it was not possible to implement measures to avoid or reduce impacts to Black Waste Wood.

Impacts and associated effects

The loss of woodland habitat was reported in the main ES although none of this loss was from woodland that was identified as ancient reported within the main ES.

Following review of historic mapping the SES and AP2 ES updated the assessment reported in the main ES, and identified that the scheme was expected to result in the loss of 1.4ha of ancient woodland at Black Waste Wood. This was assessed as an adverse effect significant at the county/metropolitan level.

Since publication of the SES and AP2 ES Black Waste Wood has been added to the ancient woodland inventory. However, based on further review of field data and aerial photography, the area identified in the inventory as ancient has been reduced to exclude areas of habitat along the north western boundary that show evidence of previous clearance. As a consequence, the loss of ancient woodland at Black Waste Wood is now expected to be 0.6ha, this is a 0.8ha reduction on that stated within the SES and AP2 ES (see Figure EC-AWS-015) [the map reproduced above]. This remains an adverse effect significant at the county/metropolitan level.

Translocation of ancient woodland soil

No translocation of ancient woodland soil is proposed for Black Waste Wood, as the quality of woodland being affected is too low to justify translocation, in particular due to a dense cover of rhodendron making the soil unsuitable for translocation.

Soil conditions

The soil conditions at Black Waste Wood are classified as ‘Slowly permeable seasonally wet slightly acid but base-rich loamy and clayey soils’.

Woodland planting

Wood planting comprises a 0.2ha of woodland habitat creation adjacent to the retained part of Black Waste Wood (see Figure EC-AWS-015).

Enhancement of ancient woodland

An 8.3ha area of retained ancient woodland at Black Waste Wood will be subject to woodland management and enhancement (see Figure EC-AWS-015). This measure is provided as compensation for losses to several areas of woodlands in CFA18 that have been added to the ancient woodland inventory since the main ES (including Black Waste Wood itself). The management and enhancement will include measures such as the removal of invasive plant species such as rhododendron, and management of dead wood habitat and trees for the benefit of wildlife, particularly invertebrates and bats.


Little Poors Wood

Little Poors Wood was not included on the ancient woodland inventory in 2012. Little Poors Wood appears on the ancient woodland inventory in October 2015 as ancient semi-natural woodland. Little Poors Wood forms one half of Little Poors and Big Poors Wood LWS.

Little Poors Wood is a small deciduous woodland of 1.4ha located at Burton Green, Warwickshire. The woodland supports lowland mixed deciduous woodland, a Habitat of Principal Importance. NVC surveys carried out in 2013 (Main ES Volume 5 Appendix EC-001-003) recorded a canopy of mature pedunculate oak (up to 25m in height) with occasional silver birch. In the understorey, neglected hazel coppice is locally dominant with occasional rowan.

The shrub layer is well developed and consists of bramble, common hawthorn, Midland hawthorn, elder and occasional holly. There are some clearings dominated by bracken and replanted with young trees. The ground flora is well developed but limited to a few species indicative of acidic ground conditions including bracken, broad buckler-fern, creeping softgrass and bluebell.

A pond within the woodland is 90% shaded by trees and scrub. Floating sweet grass (Glyceria fluitans) is dominant within the pond and remote sedge (Carex remota) and mosses are found on the edges of the pond.

The woodland community is W10c Quercus robur-Pteridium aquilinum-Rubus fruticosus woodland, Hedera helix sub-community (with a MATCH coefficient of similarity of 57%), a subcommunity typical of unmanaged woodland, and widespread in the British lowlands.

Valuation

Little Poors Wood was not identified as ancient woodland in the main ES. The woodland habitat was valued at district/borough level.

As a result of additional cultural heritage baseline information Little Poors Wood was identified as ancient woodland within the SES (Part 1 of the SES and AP2 ES) although the value of the woodland did not change.

Measures taken to avoid or reduce impacts

There were no specific measures taken to avoid or reduce the loss of ancient woodland at Little Poors Wood. To avoid impacting local residents in the Burton Green area, the Greenway was used for the alignment of the route. As such, the route of the railway is constrained in this location and it was not possible to implement measures to avoid or reduce impacts to Little Poors Wood.

Impacts and associated effects

The scheme will result in the loss of a strip of land from Little Poors Wood that is required for the Burton Green Tunnel (approximately 0.2ha) (see Figure EC-AWS-015). This is expected to result in an adverse effect on the conservation status of the ancient woodland at Little Poors Wood that is significant at a district/borough level.

Translocation of ancient woodland soils

Given that a very small area of the poor quality woodland edge at Little Poors Wood will be lost, translocation of soils will be inappropriate, and is not proposed.

Woodland planting

No woodland planting is proposed in response to the losses of ancient woodland at Little Poors.

Enhancement of ancient woodland

The SES3 and AP4 ES introduced a number of changes to woodland compensation proposals in CFA18 (SES3 and AP4 ES Volume 5 AP4-018-004). Under the AP4 revised scheme 11ha of Black Waste Wood was included within the land required for management and enhancement of the woodland habitat to address the additional loss of ancient woodland in CFA18 (see Figure EC-AWS-015).

Mitigation to offset the loss of this woodland involves the management and enhancement of 8.3ha of Black Waste Wood. This measure is provided as compensation for losses to several areas of woodlands in CFA18 that have been added to the ancient woodland inventory since the main ES (including Little Poors). This will include measures such as the removal of invasive plant species, for example rhododendron, and management of deadwood habitat and trees for the benefit of wildlife, particularly invertebrates and bats (see Figure EC-AWS-015)).

Enhancement of non-ancient woodland

No enhancement of non-ancient woodland is required as compensation for works at Black Waste Wood.

Wednesday, 14 February 2018

Mobile Library

A mobile library calls at the village hall every third Tuesday, between 2.30pm and 2.50pm.

Dates for 2018 are as follows. These date are also shown in the Calendar.

January 2, 23February 13March 6, 27April 17
May 8, 29June 19July 10, 31August 21
September 11October 2, 23November 13December 4

Monday, 29 January 2018

Minutes of Residents Association 23rd January 2018

Minutes of Burton Green Residents’ Association Committee Meeting 
January 23rd 2018


Present
Dianne Adams; Hilary Cox; Paddy Deeley; Trish Hancock; Judi Hibberd (arrived 8:10); Janet Hickinbottom; Bron Putnam; Rona Taylor; Mary Webb.

In attendance: Cllr Caryll Green, Cheryl Wall.

1. Apologies

Apologies had been received from Faith Ward.

Summary of actions following the meetingResponsible
Dementia article for BugleMary
HS2 compensation article for BugleAndy and Mary
Welcome pack to HilaryJudi
Contact Peter Hallam about various works needed in Red LaneRona
Speak to Diane Swindells about charges for lunchesRona
Agenda item for September meeting on chosen charity for Santa sleigh 2018Judi


Minutes of the last meeting and Matters Arising

The meeting in November 2017 had been cancelled because of bad weather. The minutes of the September meeting were approved.

Matters Arising from the previous minutes:

  • Dementia article for Bugle - Mary to check Action:Mary
  • HS2 article for Bugle - Mary to check with Andy Action: Mary and Andy
  • Welcome Pack to be sent to Hilary Action: Judi

All other matters arising had been covered or were to be agenda items.


2. Treasurer's Report

A report had been circulated. Dianne explained the various items.


3.  Residents' views/concerns

A variety of potholes were highlighted, especially one in Red Lane opposite 77. The footpath after 79 and before the bungalow in Red Lane also needed clearing again. The previous clearing had been done very well. Rona would contact Peter Hallam. Action: Rona.

Potholes in Solihull were proving more difficult to sort out. The Parish Councils of Berkswell and Balsall Common had been contacted.


4. Update on and discussion of Residents' Association initiatives and issues

Review of AGM: this had gone well and there had been a good turnout. No suggestions for improvement were made. Hearing speakers was identified as a problem but it was hoped the new Village Hall would have better facilities to address this.

Fly tipping: Mary reported that fly tipping in Red Lane had been cleared.

Retired of Burton Green lunches: A discussion was held about the £7.50 charge made for the Retired of Burton Green lunches. It was decided as this was not supposed to be a profit- making venture, the cost would not be increased at the moment but Mary would speak to Diane Swindells to seek her view. Action: Mary

Santa Sleigh 2017 review: this had again been a very successful event with a total of £1000 raised after donations, sales of food and a donation from Hickory’s Smokehouse. A Lions presentation evening had been attended with donor recipients who had included Zoe’s Place, the chosen charity of the Residents’ Association. Thanks were extended to Balsall Common Lions and all those who helped and took part. An item would be added to the September agenda for discussion of next year’s charity. Action: Judi


5. Village Hall

Cheryl reported that the progress of the planning application had been delayed because HS2 had not paid some of the contractors’ invoices but this had now been resolved. Monthly meeting were now held with HS2 and the consultants.

The Village Hall committee had formed a variety of sub groups to look at different aspects such as the landscaping.

The views of the community would be needed to feed into developments. Who were future users of the hall likely be? With an increasingly older population, would this impact on the needs of the community? Some ideas would be available through the Neighbourhood Plan.

Community access was important but should the hall be run for profit?

Q. Would the number of rooms available provide flexibility?

Hopefully as there would also be an office space to rent. Should this be given an alternative name to “Office” as this implied a space restricted to administrative activity for the Hall.

Q. How will the outdoor space be used?

There are still many details to be decided. Various suggestions have been put forward such as a bowling green and boules pitch. There will be no provision for a children’s play area as the Parish Council could not move the existing facility in Red Lane. Perhaps Cala Homes could be persuaded to create a play area for older children as part of their housing development. Another alternative suggested was to use an area on the new Greenway once established but this would be the responsibility of WDC.

Q. When would building commence?

The original schedule was for June 2018 but the timescale has already been delayed by three and a half months. HS2 still had to pay the fee for the planning application to be considered but it was hoped the application would be in place within the next month. The duration of the build had been estimated as nine months but that was before the delay which would mean involving the winter months of 2018-19.

A decision would need to be reached about who should open the new hall. The oldest and youngest residents? A celebrity?

Q. How would the security barrier which was proposed operate to ensure no unwelcome parking took place whilst allowing Hall users access and egress?

Details such as these were still being considered with expert advice.

Rona thanked Cheryl for attending to provide the information and said she should not hesitate to contact the Residents’ Association if any help was needed.


6. Parish Councillor's Report

Cllr Green reported that the PC had been very busy with the large planning applications submitted just before Christmas.  These included:

The Cala Homes application for the Burrows Hill site. The WDC planning committee was scheduled to consider this on January 30th. The PC had objected on various grounds including the reduction in size of the playing field since the community consultation

HS2 had purchased a strip of land bordering the Cala Homes site and this contained a hedge. There were some concerns over the future of the hedge. At the recent Greenway Trust Meeting it had been reported there were no plans to remove the hedge.

A planning application had been submitted regarding homes in Westwood Heath Road. The PC had put in an objection to Coventry City Council and would do the same to WDC on the grounds of lack of road planning prior to the building and hence tremendous traffic problems in the area.

An application had been submitted on behalf of a group of Plymouth Brethren to change the use of a garage in Hob Lane into a Gospel Hall. The PC had not objected as there were no grounds to reject it because a building had been on the site since before the 1940s. Some concerns were raised about parking and some of the residents of Hob Lane were putting in objections. Drainage might also be a problem.

Thanks were given to Cllr Green and the whole PC for their hard work.


7.  Any Other Business

Mary reported that HS2 had finally sorted the payment of the electricity for the lights on the community Christmas tree.

There was a lot of litter throughout the village and so a litter pick was arranged for February 11th at 10:30. Volunteers should meet at the bridge and gloves, rubbish bags and grabbers would be available.

Paddy reported that the email loop system had been changed to utilise MailChimp. Some minor amendments were suggested. The system allowed for scheduling of future notifications.

On request from the Village Choir, Rona had written a letter of support for an application to the Forum for funding.

Rona explained that Michael Bing, an experienced structural engineer who advised the government, looked likely to be appointed by a consortium of local parish councils, to present a case for an extended covered tunnel in Burton Green.


8. Date, time and venue of Next Meeting

The next committee meeting was scheduled for March 13th 2018

Future meetings were scheduled as follows:

May 8th, July 10th, September 11th, October 1st (AGM), December11th

Wednesday, 17 January 2018

Revised Westwood Heath Housing Proposal

The planning application to build up to 425 dwellings off Westwood Heath Road has been resubmitted to Warwick District Council.

Residents' objections that were made to the original application do NOT carry over to the revised application and MUST BE RESUBMITTED, if they are still applicable. The covering letter with the new application clearly states:



The new application is here (it may take a few minutes for this link to load):
https://planningdocuments.warwickdc.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=_WARWI_DCAPR_80131

This map shows the new application:






The Original (June 2017) Application

The details of the original application (submitted in June 2017) are here (it may take a few minutes for this link to load):
https://planningdocuments.warwickdc.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=_WARWI_DCAPR_78924

This is the corresponding map submitted with the June application:



As you can see, there is very little substantive difference. The number of proposed dwellings is exactly the same, so considerations of traffic volumes are presumably unaltered. All objections regarding traffic will still need to be resubmitted.


The Differences Between The Original and Revised Plans

The graphic below highlights the differences between the two plans. There are some minor changes in the North-East quadrant and the South boundary hedge...




This animation shows the precise differences between the original plan and the revised plan...



This image (which can be enlarged) shows the precise types of properties in the revised version of the plan. Each type of property is indicated by a 3-letter code. eg AST represents Aston, cheaper terraced housing; SOM represents Somerton, a detached property; etc. Details and images of all of the various property types can be seen in the planning application documentation...




This animation shows a comparison with the original plan. Click the graphic to enlarge it to full screen size...



Below are the changes to the South boundary hedge. The WCC Ecologist had recommended that the original proposal should be refused on ecological grounds (see here). That recommendation is unchanged for the revised plan (see here).



Approximately 70 objections were made to the original application. The organisations and individuals who objected to the original application were:
Burton Green Parish Council, Warwickshire Wildlife Trust, WCC Ecologist, WCC Planning Archaeologist, Mr Glen Ager, Mr Andrew Allen, Mr Tim Barker, Mr Joel Beaumont, Mr Adrian Blay, Miss Kelly Brown, Mrs Patricia Bullock, Mrs Amanda Carter, Mr Tony Cartwright,  Mr Charles McDonald, Mr Ian Harrop, Dr Surinderjeet Chaggar, Mr Paul Carrington,Ms Jules Clark, Mrs Patricia Deeley, Mr George Francis, Mr Norman Gilbert, Mr B Gill, Mrs Carol Goldfinch, I N Green, Dr Geraldine Hartshorne, Miss Becky Hopkins, Mr & Mrs Ireland, Ms Nicki Jackson,  Mr Harpinder Johal, Mrs Jill Kashi, Mrs Tina Kennedy, Mr Nitin Koria, Mrs Diana King, Mr Chris Langton, Mr Marcus Laverne, Mr Lee Loughran,  CLLR Tim Mayer, Mrs Ann McCaig, Mr Iain McCaig, Mr Robert McCaig, Mrs Sheila Millar, Mr Sunil Mishra,  Mr Brian Olden, Mrs Susan Olden, Mr Alan Pearson,  Mr James Peskett, Mr Prasanna Pimpalnerkar, Mrs Rupa Pimpalnerkar, Mr Satnam Purewal, Mr Amarjit Purewal, Mrs Corinne Ratcliffe, Dr Santosh Rai, Mr Neil Rippington, Mrs Beryl Sarram, Mr Ian Scott, Mr Pragnesh Shah, CLLR David Skinner, Mrs Ann Smalley, Mr Gareth Spicer, Mrs Karen Sprouse, Dr Mark Steel, Ian Stewart, Mr Surrinder Thandi, Mr Steven Tibbetts, Ms Manjit Uppal, Mrs Joy Warren, Miss Natasha Wayne-Wynne, Mr Stephen Wilkinson, G.H. Williams, 131 Cromwell Lane, 23 Duggins Lane, 571 Westwood Health Road, 599 Westwood Heath Road.
Those organisations and individuals highlighted in blue have already lodged objections to the revised application. Many organisations and individuals who objected to the original plan have yet to submit an objection to the revised plan. The deadline is 12th January.

Objections should be made using the 'Make A Comment' tab on the application. That comment page is here:
https://planningdocuments.warwickdc.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=makeComment&keyVal=_WARWI_DCAPR_80131

Alternatively you can write to PO Box 2178, Warwick District Council, Riverside House, Milverton Hill, Royal Leamington Spa, CV32 5QH, quoting reference W/17/2357.


The Housing Crisis and Immigration

There's an article in the Daily Mail this morning (21st December) which claims that immigration is the major factor driving the housing crisis and the demand for new homes.



You can read that article here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-5200603/Stephen-Glover-migration-housing-crisis.html


Brexit

There has been some concern about the accuracy of Coventry City Council's inflated population growth projections. It is not known to what extent those projections take into account Brexit and the anticipated reduction in immigration. Brexit may have been ignored.

The media are claiming that migration patterns are already reversing...


Full article:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/30/net-migration-to-uk-shows-largest-annual-fall-since-records-began


Previous Posts About The Westwood Heath Housing Proposal

https://burtongreen.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/planning-application-south-of-westwood.html (July 2017)
https://burtongreen.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/westwood-heath-road-housing-proposals.html (May 2017)
https://burtongreen.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/warwick-district-local-plan-proposed.html (Sep 2016)
https://burtongreen.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/new-proposal-for-435-600-homes-at.html (Feb 2016)

This 2012 item, just below, is of particular interest. There had been a public consultation to decide where new housing in Burton Green should be situated. This is from Minutes of Burton Green Residents’ Association Committee Meeting June 19th 2012: "At the Kenilworth Community Forum, Chris Elliott, Chief Executive of Warwickshire County Council, had delivered the Local Plan. This designated Burton Green as a category 2 village with possibly 30-80 new houses."
https://burtongreen.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/proposed-buildling-sites-at-burton.html (May 2012)

Tuesday, 16 January 2018

Archaeology at Westwood Heath

Updated January 2018

The findings of the archaeological survey are described in detail here:
https://planningdocuments.warwickdc.gov.uk/online-applications/files/8394F3B7FA51E36ACC94B7ED1AB8050E/pdf/W_17_2357-Appendix_6.3_-_Archaeological_Evaluation_Report-1076032.pdf

Based on that report, the Planning Archaeologist's response to the planning application, is here:
https://planningdocuments.warwickdc.gov.uk/online-applications/files/B9094F2400FC7E28E8DCC931A0942BCB/pdf/W_17_2357-COMMENTS_-_WCC_-_ARCHAEOLOGY_-_MR_JOHN_ROBINSON-1087815.pdf
"... The evaluation identified archaeological evidence for activity dating to the Late Iron Age or Early Roman as well as small number of undated pits of probable prehistoric origin. There is, therefore, a potential for the proposed development to disturb prehistoric archaeological deposits across this area. Whilst I would not wish to object to the proposed development I do consider, in light of the results of the trial trenching, that a further phase of targeted excavation will be required to mitigate the archaeological impact of the proposed development..." 

________________________________

15th October 2017
Archaeological Trenching at Westwood Heath



It is believed that there may have been some form of human activity at Westwood Heath possibly dating from the Iron Age.



The evidence for this is tenuous. Over the years a number of small artifacts, including coins and a goblet, have been unearthed at Westwood Heath. Some are undoubtedly Iron Age and some Roman.

In 1959 an aerial photographic survey was undertaken which revealed crop marks suggesting the presence of an enclosure. This was near to the boundary of the current proposed Crest Nicholson housing development.

What were Romans doing at Westwood Heath? Just passing through? They seem to have been here. It's possible that that the crop mark enclosure may have some connection to Bockendon Grange which is nearby. No-one knows.





No further systematic investigation was undertaken, because of the expense involved and lack of expertise.

The images below (which are both reproduced as documentary evidence filed with the Crest Nicholson planning application) show the locations of some of these finds.



Those images come from here:
http://timetrail.warwickshire.gov.uk/detail.aspx?monuid=WA9931
http://timetrail.warwickshire.gov.uk/detail.aspx?monuid=WA5357

The PDF document in the link below shows comments from the Warwickshire Planning Archaeologist. This was the most accurate assessment of the situation, as of August 2017:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2dsUUIxiPxDNmtXalNGVEdFTTg/view?usp=sharing

To further assess the situation archaeological trial trenching is now being undertaken. The investigation will take approximately 4 weeks.

Eighty trenches, each 50 meters by 1.8 metres, will be excavated.








Garden Archaeology in Burton Green

It is possible that gardens of any of the houses along Westwood Heath Road and Cromwell Lane might contain buried artifacts. One Roman artifact has been found near the Water Tower.

In 2011 a member of the Burton Green History Group who lives in a Victorian property along Cromwell Lane dug a 1 metre square test pit in their own back garden. Their finds were surprising though unexceptional. The finds were mainly Victorian crockery, earthenware, and corroded bolts and nails. All of this material was found beneath 1 square metre of their back lawn...


That experiment is described in more detail here:
https://burtongreen.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/garden-archaeology.html


Garden Archaeology at Kibworth

In 2009 the village of Kibworth, in Leicestershire, undertook a community investigation into its history, which was made into a BBC TV series, 'The Story of England'.

43 villagers dug 1 metre square test pits, exactly like the one shown above, in their gardens, to see what they might find.

At the right is a very short (1 minute) video clip from the TV program....



More details about the Kibworth project:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7962126/Gardens-of-entire-Leicestershire-village-dug-up-for-BBC-Four-archaeology-series.html
https://www.access.arch.cam.ac.uk/reports/leicestershire/kibworth/2009

Monday, 15 January 2018

Quiz Night - 3rd February

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL QUIZZERS!

Just to let everyone know of our next quiz

Please book early to make sure of places

BURTON GREEN VILLAGE HALL, Hodgetts Lane, CV8 1PH

QUIZ
With Fish and Chip Supper

SATURDAY 3rd FEBRUARY – Time 7.30 prompt

Teams  up to 8 (no more)

You do not need a team to come and join us, Just come along.

For places please email Jill @ davidline@onetel.com
Or phone: 024 7646 2070

Looking forward to meeting you

Monday, 8 January 2018

Women's Institute

Burton Green WI group meet in the Village Hall on the second Monday of the month.  The next meeting is 8th January.  If you are unable to make this date, please put the next meeting in your diary for February.